Specialization - English
- M.A. in Curriculum and Instruction
- Emphasis - Secondary Education
- Specialization - English
- Degree Requirements
M.A. in Curriculum and Instruction
The M.A. in Curriculum and Instruction is a program designed for non-education majors (persons who hold bachelor's degrees in an area other than education) who wish to earn teacher licensure and a Master's degree concurrently. Within the M.A. in Curriculum and Instruction, there are two options.
Minimum Total Credit Hours: 30
The M.A. in Curriculum and Instruction, Option One, is a 30 to 33 hour program designed to be completed in 12 to 15 months. Additional information, step-by-step application instructions and necessary forms are available by contacting the department.
Application Process: All applicants must have received or expect to receive a bachelor’s degree before entry and have a grade-point average (GPA) of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale on all course work or the last sixty hours in the baccalaureate degree. As part of the application process, applicants will be asked to submit the following:
- Applicants must submit official scores on the Praxis I and Praxis II. Applicants must have passed the Praxis I before applications will be considered. Any potential candidate who has not passed Praxis II, but who meets all other requirements will be admitted conditionally. Praxis II must be completed and passed by the end of the first 9 (nine) hours of the program. Candidates not meeting this condition will be removed from the program.
- Applicants must submit an online application at the Graduate School website, selecting M.A. in Curriculum and Instruction as their program. Applicants must also submit a paper application; applications may be requested directly from the department.
- Applicants must submit a writing sample (instructions available from the department) along with the one-page paper application.
The M.A. in Curriculum and Instruction, Option Two, is offered for students who participate in the Mississippi Teacher Corps program. Teacher Corps is a two-year program, similar to the Peace Corps, that recruits college graduates to teach in the Mississippi Delta.
Emphasis - Secondary Education
Specialization - English
The academic regulations for this degree program, as entered in the University of Mississippi Catalog, are in effect for the current or selected academic year and semester. The University of Mississippi reserves the right to 1) change or withdraw courses; 2) change rules for registration, instruction, and graduation; and 3) change other regulations affecting the student body at any time.
|See GPC/Chair||See your department chair or adviser for major specific requirements.|