School of Engineering
- ALEXANDER H D CHENG - DEAN OF THE SCHOOL OF ENGINEERING AND PROFESSOR OF CIVIL ENGINEERING
227 Brevard Hall
University, MS 38677
The School of Engineering offers Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees in chemical engineering, civil engineering, computer science, electrical engineering, geology, and geological engineering, mechanical engineering, and a Bachelor of Engineering (B.E.) degree.
History - Founded in 1900, the School of Engineering is the third oldest school of the university and is the oldest engineering school in the state. Instruction in engineering dates from 1854 when a Department of Engineering was established by the Board of Trustees to complement a strong program in the natural sciences.
Vision Statement - The School of Engineering at the University of Mississippi will be recognized among the best engineering schools in the South.
Mission Statement - The School of Engineering at the University of Mississippi strives to continuously improve the quality of teaching, research and service. In so doing, the School
- Prepares students with a broad based education for entering the engineering profession, for advanced studies, and for careers in research;
- Develops in students leadership skills, communication and creative thinking skills, global perspective, and commitment to lifelong learning; and
- Provides practicing professionals with continuing education opportunities.
The School capitalizes on its engineering science tradition, its low student to faculty ratio, and the liberal arts environment of the University of Mississippi to give our graduates the abilities to adapt to the rapid changes in engineering and to give our graduates the interdisciplinary background and capacity for innovation that sets them apart from the graduates of larger engineering schools.
Statement of Goals
- To provide an environment conducive to learning, teaching, and research. This includes a diverse and multicultural first-rate faculty, staff and students and state-of-the-art facilities.
- To provide a top-quality ABET accredited undergraduate program suitable for the 21st century.
- To foster a vibrant graduate program and perform quality research in line with national trends and achieve national recognition in selected areas.
- To establish strong partnerships and lasting relationships with industry, government, professional societies, alumni and academia.
- To make significant contribution to the technological and economic development of the State of Mississippi and the region through education, research, and service.
- To increase the visibility of the School of Engineering locally and nationally.
The School of Engineering's B.S. curricula in chemical, civil, electrical, geological, and mechanical engineering are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org. The Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (BSCS) program of the Department of Computer and Information Science is accredited as a Computer Science program by the Computing Accreditation Commission (CAC) of ABET www.abet.org.
Cooperative Education Program - Qualified students in the school may participate in the Cooperative Education Program. Co-op integrates theory and practice by blending classroom learning with practical work experience. The Engineering Dean’s Office and the university’s Career Center work closely together to identify co-op opportunities for interested students.