Skip UM navigation Skip to Main Navigation


The Schools of Nursing and Pharmacy operate on both the Oxford and Jackson campuses. The Schools of Dentistry, Health Related Professionals and Medicine, and the Health Sciences Graduate School, are based in Jackson only. (Additional healthcare programs are available through the School of Applied Sciences on the Oxford campus.) Other than these exceptions, the schools above are on the Oxford campus.

Admission to the University

Admission to the university is administered under policies established by state law, the Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning, and the university’s faculty. Admission requirements are subject to change without notice at the direction of the Board of Trustees.

Applications are received online. Details of the application process, including deadlines, fees, and immunization record requirements, can be found on the Office of Admissions and Enrollment Services website and online application.

Freshman Admission

Standard Test Results

Please note that standard test results (ACT or SAT) should be sent directly from the testing service to the admissions office.

College Preparatory Curriculum

Admission of entering freshmen is based on the completion of the College Preparatory Curriculum (CPC) specified below with either a specific minimum grade-point average (GPA) or both a specific GPA and minimum standard test score. Students must submit a high school transcript reflecting satisfactory completion of the following high school course requirements as well as an official graduation date. (Provisional admission may be granted after six semesters of high school provided the transcript indicates that courses to complete the CPC are underway; final admission will require a complete transcript.)

Carnegie Subject Units Contents and Remark
English 4 All must require substantial communication skills (i.e., reading, writing, listening, and speaking). Compensatory Reading and Writing may not be included.
Mathematics 4 Algebra I or its equivalent
Math higher than Algebra I (2 units)
Science 3 Biology I or its equivalent
Science higher than Biology I (2 units)
Social Studies 3 U.S. History
World History
U.S. Government (½ unit)
Economics (½ unit) or Introduction to World Geography (½ unit)
Art 1 Includes any one Carnegie unit (or two ½ units) of visual and performing arts course(s) meeting the requirements for high school graduation.
Advanced electives 2 Option 1: Foreign Language I and Foreign Language II
Option 2: Foreign Language I and Advanced World Geography
Option 3: Any combination of English, Mathematics higher than Algebra I, Science higher than Biology I, Advanced Elective category, any AP course, any IB course
Technology 1/2 A course that emphasizes the use of technology as a productivity tool. Instruction should include utilizing various forms of technology to create, collaborate, organize, and publish information. The application of technology as a productivity tool, rather than specific hardware and/or software packages should be the focus of the course


Admission of Mississippi Residents

Regular admission will be granted to the following:

  1. Students completing the College Preparatory Curriculum (CPC) with a minimum 3.20 high school GPA on the CPC.
  2. Students completing the CPC with a minimum 2.50 high school GPA on the CPC and a minimum score of 16 on the composite ACT (or 880 on the SAT).
  3. Students completing the CPC with a class rank in the top 50 percent and a minimum score of 16 on the composite ACT (or 880 on the SAT).
  4. Students completing the CPC with a minimum 2.00 high school GPA on the CPC and a minimum composite score of 18 on the ACT (or 960 on the SAT).
  5. Students who meet full-qualifier certification requirements for the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).

Nonresident Admissions

IHL Board policy regarding the admission of nonresident students was changed effective for students applying for summer or Fall of 2022 or a subsequent term. The following policy was approved at the March 2011 board meeting:

Any student identified as a nonresident will be qualified for admission to a Mississippi institution of higher learning based on equivalent preparation as determined by the admitting institution.

If, however, an admitting institution determines that anticipated enrollment will exceed the institution’s capacity to adequately serve all prospective students who are otherwise qualified for admission, then the institution may make appropriate admissions decisions from among the pool of otherwise qualified nonresident applicants in light of institutional capacity and consistent with constitutional and other legal requirements, as well as in light of the IHL and the admitting institution’s values, mission, and goals.

Specific admissions criteria for nonresident students can be found at the following website: or by contacting the Office of Admissions.

Admission Requirements for the Professional Program in Pharmacy and Early Entry Nursing

Freshman admission requirements for the professional program in pharmacy and early entry nursing differ from general admission requirements. Please see the pharmacy and health professions sections of the catalog for details.

Minimum Test Scores

Students whose ACT subtest score in reading and/or English is less than 17 (or SAT verbal score is 480 or less) are required to enroll in an appropriate developmental course during the first semester of enrollment and to remain in the course until receiving a passing grade or until passing the placement exam administered by the Department of Developmental Studies. Additionally, students whose ACT subtest score in mathematics is less than 19 (or SAT mathematics score is 510 or less) are required to enroll in an appropriate developmental course during the first semester of enrollment and to remain in the course until receiving a passing grade or until passing the placement exam administered by the Department of Developmental Studies. Students with ACT subtest scores of 17, 18, or 19 are encouraged to enroll in developmental courses. Those students who enroll in two or more developmental courses also are required to complete two semesters of Developmental Support Lab (see below). Enrollment in developmental courses is limited to students with subtest scores below 20 except with permission of the department. Developmental courses completed at other postsecondary institutions before enrolling at The University of Mississippi may be considered to meet developmental requirements.

Test Score Minimums as Course Prerequisites

Some courses may require a minimum standard test score as a prerequisite. For example, students enrolling in Biology 160/161 must have a 24 subscore on the mathematics portion of the ACT (SAT math score of 580) or have completed College Algebra with a grade of B or higher. Students enrolling in Chemistry 105/106 must have one of the following: a 24 subscore on the mathematics portion of the ACT (SAT score of 580); completed Chemistry 101 with a grade of C or higher; completed Math 125 (Basic Mathematics for Science and Engineering) with a grade of B or higher.

Other Admission Criteria

Residents of Mississippi who apply and do not meet the admission requirements stated above may enter the Comprehensive Academic Screening Program (counseling and testing) held on campus and at other designated locations prior to the beginning of the first summer session. Such counseling will consider student interests, special skills, experiences, and other noncognitive factors. After counseling, students will take a computer- based examination, Accuplacer, to assist the university in the admission decision. Students who pass the Accuplacer will be admitted for the fall term and will be encouraged to participate in the Developmental Support Lab during the first two semesters of enrollment.

Summer Developmental Program

Mississippi residents who are not successful on the Accuplacer examination may be admitted to the Summer Developmental Program. This intensive program concentrates on those high school subject areas (writing, reading, mathematics) that are crucial to success in first-year college courses. Students who successfully exit the summer program may continue in the fall term with the requirement of participation in the Developmental Support Lab during the fall and spring semesters. Students who do not pass the Summer Developmental Program are counseled to explore other postsecondary options, including those offered by two-year colleges that prepare students for transfer into bachelor’s degree programs.

The Developmental Support Lab is designed to assist students with first-year college studies. The goal of this lab is to provide individualized support in intermediate and regular academic courses for marginally prepared students.

Earning College Credit in High School

In the summer before the senior year in high school, students may earn university credit by attending enrichment programs such as Croft Summer Scholars, and the Summer Institutes in Art, Journalism, and in Music.

Students must have completed a minimum of 14 high school units with a minimum 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale, or better on all high school courses, as documented by an official high school transcript; home-schooled students must submit a transcript prepared by a parent, guardian, or custodian with a signed, sworn affidavit to meet the requirement. Students must have an unconditional written recommendation from their high school principal and/or guidance counselor. A home-schooled student must submit a parent, legal guardian or custodian’s written recommendation to meet the requirement. Students may be considered for the dual enrollment program who have not completed the minimum 14 core high school units if they have a minimum ACT composite score of thirty (30) or the equivalent SAT score, and have the required grade-point average and recommendations outlined above.

Summer enrichment programs are administered by the Office of Summer School.

Admission of Transfer Students

Students may be accepted for transfer from other regionally accredited colleges and universities if they have earned an associate’s degree intended for transfer to a four-year school. In addition, students may be accepted from other regionally accredited colleges and universities if a minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA has been maintained on all course work attempted with the exception of vocational/technical or other courses not acceptable for transfer. Every attempt on repeated courses is counted. Applicants must list all colleges attended on the application for admission. (Failure to provide information about prior college attendance is grounds for disciplinary action including immediate dismissal from the university.)

In addition, the applicant must meet one of the following criteria:

  1. Has been admissible as a freshman. The applicant must submit official high school records (see Freshman Admission) as well as college transcripts to meet this requirement.
  2. Has successfully completed at least the following 30 semester hours of college work at a regionally accredited school:
    6 hours of English composition
    3 hours of college algebra or quantitative reasoning or statistics (taken from a department of mathematics) or a more advanced mathematics course
    6 hours of laboratory science
    6 hours of social or behavioral science
    9 hours of fine arts and humanities

Additional criteria for the admission of transfer students is given at or can be obtained by calling 662-915-7226.

Evaluation of Credits

University policy on the transfer of credit hours is described in Academic Regulations under Transfer Credit.

Grade Requirements

Transfer students are required to maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0 on courses taken at the university, and to have a minimum GPA of 2.0 on all college work attempted, in order to graduate. See Degree Requirements in Academic Regulations.

Other Types of Admission

Admission of Visiting Students

A student who regularly attends another recognized institution and who plans to return to that institution may be admitted to the university as a visiting student. The applicant must comply with the general requirements for admission and, in lieu of transcripts of credits, may submit a letter or certificate of good standing from an official of the institution that the student regularly attends. A student admitted to the summer session as a visiting student may elect to enroll in the university’s next regular session. The student can qualify by submitting transcripts of credits from the other institutions attended and by meeting the requirements applicable to transfer students. If the student has attended the University of Mississippi previously, he or she must be re-admissible.

Admission of Students Who Are Not Graduates of Regionally Accredited High Schools

Applicants who are home-schooled or who have not successfully completed high school must submit standard test scores (ACT composite minimum of 18 or SAT combined minimum of 860) and successfully complete the Accuplacer (see “Other Admission Criteria” above). Home-schooled students must present summaries of their educational experiences, which may include portfolios and transcripts. Students who are not high school graduates must present qualifying GED scores or, in some cases, may qualify as undergraduate special students (see below).

Applicants who have not graduated from a regionally accredited high school and were not home-schooled must submit qualifying scores on the General Education Development Test (GED) and any transcripts reflecting academic performance in high school. Home-schooled students must present portfolios summarizing his or her home-school education as well as standard test scores (ACT composite minimum of 18 or SAT combined minimum of 860). Applicants may be required, at the discretion of the admitting IHL institution, to appear for an on-campus interview.

Admission of Undergraduate Special Students

A student who is at least 21 years of age, has been out of school for at least three years, and cannot present an acceptable high school record may be admitted to the university for such courses as he or she may be prepared to enter. This category is reserved for those who have had delays or interruption of the traditional sequence of educational pursuits. A person admitted as a special student is admitted with the same retention standards as degree-seeking students. Special students must have a minimum of a 2.0 GPA on 12 hours of course work to become degree-seeking students. After meeting this requirement, the special student may become a regularly enrolled student and the work completed while in the special status may be applied toward a degree. Failure to meet the stated requirements will result in academic suspension. While in special student status, a student may not register for more than 12 hours in a semester or summer session and will not qualify for financial aid programs.

Admission of Unclassified Students

Applicants who have already received the baccalaureate degree may enroll in the university if they desire to take courses for personal or professional improvement at the 400 level or below; or are pursuing a second undergraduate degree. Generally, students pursuing a second undergraduate degree will not be permitted to take graduate courses, but under certain circumstances, with the approval of the appropriate academic dean, they may enroll as unclassified students in 500-level courses.

Admission of Graduate Students

An applicant who has completed all requirements or has received the bachelor’s degree from an institution accredited by a regional or recognized professional accrediting association may be admitted to the university as a graduate student for a program leading to an advanced degree, or as a graduate student with nondegree status for enrollment in graduate course work. Applicants desiring to enroll in the Graduate School should consult the Graduate School catalog for admission requirements and procedures.

Admission to the University of Mississippi Medical Center (Jackson campus)

After completion of the undergraduate prerequisites, applications for enrollment in medicine, nursing, dentistry, and health-related professions are submitted to the Division of Student Services and Records, The University of Mississippi Medical Center, 2500 N. State Street, Jackson, Mississippi 39216. Students should consult the School of Medicine website for admission requirements and procedures. Pre-nursing students also may have the option of seeking admission through the Early Entry Nursing Program. See the [School of Nursing] ( website for details.

Admission of International Students

The University of Mississippi welcomes the enrollment of qualified international students. Any applicant who does not hold U.S. citizenship, regardless of where he or she resides, is considered “international” and must check “international student” on his or her online application.

International students fall into the following categories:

Readmission of Former Students

All students who have interrupted their enrollment in the university must submit an application for readmission and are encouraged to apply online. Those who have attended other institutions during the interruption must have official transcripts forwarded by the institutions to the Office of the Registrar. Readmission will be to the school or department in which the student was enrolled during the most recent period of UM attendance. Students wishing to change majors must first be admitted and then may meet with an adviser in the academic dean’s office in which they wish to enroll.

Veterans readmitted to the same program (for the first academic year in which the student returns) may be assessed the tuition and fee charges that were assessed when the student left unless the student's service member benefits will pay the higher tuition and fee charges.

Readmission requirements for students who have been academically suspended or dismissed from the university are given in the Academic Standing section of Academic Regulations.

Academic Restart Policy

A former University of Mississippi student who has been out of any educational institution for the 48 consecutive months immediately prior to the time the student wishes to begin academic restart, may start his or her college education completely over by invoking the university’s academic restart policy. The student will be considered as a totally new student from the time of first enrollment after the 48-month hiatus, and all academic regulations for new students (e.g., concerning probation, suspension, and honors) will apply. The new enrollment need not have been at the University of Mississippi.

A student’s grades obtained prior to academic restart will remain on the student’s transcript. However, no grade made prior to academic restart will be included in the student’s cumulative grade-point average, and no credits earned prior to academic restart will fulfill graduation requirements.

A student’s eligibility for academic restart at the University of Mississippi is determined regardless of the student’s restart status at other institutions. A student may use the University of Mississippi’s academic restart policy only one time.

Admission of Students with Disabilities

The University of Mississippi complies with all applicable laws regarding affirmative action and equal opportunity in all its activities and programs and does not discriminate against anyone protected by law because of disability. Decisions regarding admission to the university are made on the basis of admissions standards as stated above. If assistance is needed to complete the admissions process because of disability-related reasons, incoming students must inform admissions’ personnel of those needs.

In order for students to receive academic accommodations at the University of Mississippi, their eligibility must be verified. Students must be fully admitted to the university before the verification process can begin. For information regarding the verification process and documentation guidelines, students who may require academic accommodations should contact the Office of Student Disability Services at 662-915-7128 or Information can also be accessed through the office’s website at

The University of Mississippi will make a good-faith effort to provide reasonable academic accommodations to those students who request assistance and who are verified as eligible.

Students who may require accommodations or services through the Office of Student Disability Services are encouraged to ascertain, before enrolling in the university, whether the specific accommodations or services they may require would be available to them.

Legal Residence Policy

Legal Residence of Students

The University applies the definitions and conditions stated here as required by state law in the classification of students as residents or nonresidents for the assessment of fees.

Requests for a review of residency classification should be submitted to the registrar; forms for this purpose are available from the Office of the Registrar. To be applicable for a particular semester, such requests must be accompanied by documentation that all residency requirements have been met by the last day to register for that semester.


The residency of a minor (less than 21 years of age) is that of the father, the mother, or a general guardian duly appointed by a proper court in Mississippi. If a court has granted custody of the minor to one parent, the residence of the minor is that of the parent who was granted custody by the court. If both parents are dead, the residence of the minor is that of the last surviving parent at the time of that parent’s death, unless the minor lives with a general guardian, duly appointed by a proper court of Mississippi, in which case his residence becomes that of the guardian. A student who, upon registration at a Mississippi institution of higher learning or community college, presents a transcript demonstrating graduation from a Mississippi secondary school and who has been a secondary school student in Mississippi for not less than the final four (4) years of secondary school attendance shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition. This section shall not apply to a person as it relates to residency for voter registration or voting.


The legal residence of an adult is that place where he is domiciled, that is, the place where he actually physically resides with the intention of remaining there indefinitely or of returning there permanently when temporarily absent.

Removal Of Parents From Mississippi

If the parents of a minor who is enrolled as a student in an institution of higher learning move their legal residence from the state of Mississippi, the minor is immediately classified as a nonresident student.

Twelve Months Of Residence Required

No student may be admitted to the University as a resident of Mississippi unless his residence, as defined above, has been in the state for a continuous period of at least 12 months immediately preceding his admission.

Residence In An Educational Institution Can Be Counted

A student who has lived within the state for 12 months following his twenty-first birthday may establish residence in his own right by showing that he is living in the state with the intention of abandoning his former domicile and remaining in the state permanently, or for an indefinite length of time.

Residence Status Of A Married Student

A married student may claim the residence of the spouse, or may claim independent residence status under the same regulations, set forth above, as any other adult.

Children Of Parents Who Are Employed By The University

Dependent children of parents who are members of the faculty or staff of the University may be classified as residents without regard to the residence requirement of 12 months.

Military Personnel Assigned On Active Duty Station In Mississippi And Children Of Military Personnel

  1. Resident status of a spouse or child of a member of the Armed Forces of the United States on extended active duty shall be that of the military spouse or parent for the purpose of attending state-supported institutions of higher learning and community/junior colleges of the State of Mississippi during the time that the military spouse or parent is stationed within the State of Mississippi and shall be continued through the time that the military spouse or parent is stationed in an overseas area with last duty assignment within the State of Mississippi, excepting temporary training assignments en route from Mississippi. Resident status of a minor child terminates upon reassignment under Permanent Change of Station Orders of the military parent for duty in the continental United States outside the State of Mississippi, excepting temporary training assignments en route from Mississippi, and except that children of members of the Armed Forces who attain Mississippi residency in accordance with the above provisions, who begin and complete their senior year of high school in Mississippi, and who enroll full time in a Mississippi institution of higher learning or community/junior college to begin studies in the fall after their graduation from high school, maintain their residency status so long as they remain enrolled as a student in good standing at a Mississippi institution of higher learning or community/junior college. Enrollment during summer school is not required to maintain such resident status.

  2. The spouse or child of a member of the Armed Forces of the United States who dies or is killed is entitled to pay the resident tuition fee if the spouse or child becomes a resident of Mississippi

  3. If a member of the Armed Forces of the United States is stationed outside Mississippi and the member's spouse or child establishes residence in Mississippi and registers with the Mississippi institution of higher learning or community/junior college at which the spouse or child plans to attend, the institution of higher education or community/junior college shall permit the spouse or child to pay the tuition, fees and other charges provided for Mississippi residents without regard to length of time that the spouse or child has resided in Mississippi.

  4. A member of the Armed Forces of the United States or the child or spouse of a member of the Armed Forces of the United States who is entitled to pay tuition and fees at the rate provided for Mississippi residents under another provision of this section while enrolled in a degree or certificate program is entitled to pay tuition and fees at the rate provided for Mississippi residents in any subsequent term or semester while the person is continuously enrolled in the same degree or certificate program. A student may withdraw or may choose not to reenroll for no more than one (1) semester or term while pursuing a degree or certificate without losing resident status only if that student provides sufficient documentation by a physician that the student has a medical condition that requires withdrawal or non-enrollment. For purposes of this subsection, a person is not required to enroll in a summer term to remain continuously enrolled in a degree or certificate program. The person's eligibility to pay tuition and fees at the rate provided for Mississippi residents under this subsection does not terminate because the person is no longer a member of the Armed Forces of the United States or the child or spouse of a member of the Armed Forces of the United States.

Certification Of Residence Of Military Personnel

A military person on active duty stationed in Mississippi who wishes to avail himself or his dependents of the provisions of the paragraph titled “Military Personnel Assigned on Active Duty Station in Mississippi” must submit a certificate from the military organization showing the name of the military member, the name of the dependent, if for a dependent, the name of the organization of assignment and its address (may be in the letterhead), that the military member will be on active duty stationed in Mississippi on the date of registration at the University; that the military member is not on transfer orders; and the signature of the commanding officer, the adjutant, or the personnel officer of unit of assignment with signer’s rank and title. A military certificate must be presented to the registrar of the University each semester at (or within 10 days prior to) registration for the provisions of the paragraph “Military Personnel Assigned Active Duty Station in Mississippi,” named above, to be effective.

Families Of Students

The spouse and children of a nonresident student who pays or receives a waiver of the nonresident fee may enroll in the University upon payment of the appropriate fees charged to a resident. Nonresident fees for spouses and children of part-time nonresident students will be prorated.

Responsibility of Students - Residency classification of an applicant for admission is determined by the Office of Admissions and is stated on the Admission Certificate issued. Students should notify the registrar immediately by letter of any change in legal residence.

The policies and regulations contained in this online University of Mississippi Catalog are in effect for the current or selected semester. The catalog is not a contract, but rather a guide for the convenience of students. The University of Mississippi reserves the right to 1) change or withdraw courses; 2) change the fees, rules, and schedules for admission, registration, instruction, and graduation; and 3) change other regulations affecting the student body at any time. Implicit in each student’s enrollment with the university is an agreement to comply with university rules and regulations, which the university may modify to exercise properly its educational responsibility.