B.S.Ch.E. in Chemical Engineering
The B.S. in chemical engineering provides the student with a fundamental knowledge of chemical engineering science and prepares graduates for a variety of careers in industry and government, or for advanced study in engineering, business, or professional school.
Minimum Total Credit Hours: 128
Program Educational Objectives
Graduates from the Department of Chemical Engineering of the University of Mississippi will:
- Meet or exceed the expectations of employers of chemical engineers;
- Continue their professional development by pursuing advanced study if they so desire; and
- Pursue leadership positions in their profession and/or communities.
In accordance with ABET accreditation requirements, BSChE students at the University of Mississippi should demonstrate the attainment of the following student outcomes:
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgements, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgement to draw conclusions
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies
Other Academic Requirements
Students in the Department of Chemical Engineering are encouraged to take the Fundamentals of Engineering examination prior to awarding of the baccalaureate degree.
- Emphasis - Biotechnology
- Emphasis - Environmental
- Emphasis - Manufacturing
- Emphasis - Materials
- Pre-Med Option
- Standard Option