Ph.D. in Higher Education
The Ph.D. in higher education prepares higher education administrators following the practitioner-scholar model. The intent of the doctoral program is to offer advanced course work and experiences that provide the student with greater knowledge of higher education and the leadership aspects associated with such organizations.
Minimum Total Credit Hours: 72
Course requirements for the Ph.D. in higher education include:
- Edhe 700-Models of Inquiry and Literature Review
- Edrs 701-Educational Statistics II
- Edrs 704-Foundations of Qualitative Research Methods
- Edrs 705-Advanced Quantitative Research Methods
Students must select 12 hours from the following higher education core courses:
- Edhe 759-Finance of Higher Education
- Edhe 760-History of Higher Education
- Edhe 762-College Teaching
- Edhe 764-Law and Higher Education
- Edhe 721-Recent Developments in Educational Practice
- Edhe 730-Multidisciplinary Perspectives on Leadership
- Edhe 772-Advanced Educational Policy Analysis
Other requirements are 9 hours of additional research courses selected in consultation with adviser, 21 hours of courses in an area of specialization, with courses selected in consultation with adviser, and 18 hours dissertation.
Other Academic Requirements
Students must pass a written comprehensive examination, prepare a dissertation prospectus, and then successfully write and defend their dissertation.