About the University of Mississippi
Oxford Campus and University Buildings
Situated on rolling land at an altitude of 500 feet, the university’s Oxford campus is noted for its natural beauty. With its elms, oaks, magnolias, poplars, redbuds, and dogwoods, the campus has the appearance of a well-kept park. Originally the campus was approximately one-square-mile in area. Over the years it has expanded to more than 2,500 acres in total. The main campus and the land to the south across Highway 6 comprise approximately 1,200 acres. An additional 1,300 acres were added when land was acquired for the airport, golf course, Biological Field Station, and former mall.
Most of the university buildings are Georgian, modified Georgian, or contemporary in architectural design. Two of the three surviving antebellum buildings are Greek Revival in design. The buildings are listed in the chronological order of their construction.
Begun July 14, 1846, and completed in 1848, the Lyceum is of stately Ionic Greek Revival design and bricks thought to have been made from clay at the site. Its architect was William Nichols. The building was lengthened in 1858, two flanking wings added in 1903, and the west facade in 1923. The entire building was renovated from 1998-2000. The sole survivor of the five original buildings, it has remained the principal administration building. The Lyceum bell is believed to be the oldest college bell in America. The Class of 1927 donated the clock above the east portico. The Lyceum was used as a hospital during the Civil War. Bullet marks on the front columns are a reminder of the violence of 1962, when James Meredith enrolled as the university’s first African-American student.
Croft Institute for International Studies
Built in 1853 and identified as the Old Chapel, often called the “Y,” it served as the place of formal worship and ceremonial assembly for nearly 75 years. This Georgian-style building once housed the director of religious life, the foreign student adviser, and student organization offices. It was completely renovated in 1999 and now serves the Croft Institute for International Studies. One of three surviving antebellum structures on campus. This building was also used as a hospital during the Civil War.
Begun in 1857 and completed in 1859 during the administration of Chancellor Barnard, the building is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Barnard Observatory was designed to house the largest telescope in the world and to provide unrivaled quarters for the Department of Physics and Astronomy, which was housed in the west wing until 1939. The east wing, which served as the chancellor’s residence until 1971, became headquarters for the Center for the Study of Southern Culture in 1979. The entire building was renovated from 1990-92 for the Center for the Study of Southern Culture. The telescope’s delivery was prevented by the outbreak of the Civil War and instead went to the Chicago Astronomical Society, which later transferred it to Northwestern University where it is still in use today. This building was also used as a hospital during the Civil War. After World War II, the Navy ROTC used sections of the building, and it later became a sorority house.
James Alexander Ventress Hall
Named for the author of the bill to charter the university and constructed in 1889 as the University Library, the hall, built with a Victorian Romanesque design and turret, housed the School of Law from 1911 to 1930. It was occupied by the State Geological Survey from 1929 to 1963 and then was assigned to the Department of Geology. Significant renovations occurred in 1997, and in 2012, the entire structure was renovated, including new interiors and upgrades to all building mechanical systems. Ventress is currently home to the College of Liberal Arts. It was the first major building constructed after the Civil War. Above the stairs, an original Tiffany stained glass window depicts a mustering of the University Greys, a company of Ole Miss students and faculty who fought in the Civil War. The University Greys fought at the Battle of Gettysburg and participated in the infamous Pickett’s charge. Every member was wounded or killed at the Battle of Gettysburg.
The Old Power Plant
Constructed in 1908, the building continues to house fire alarms and bell systems, the radio dispatcher’s office, and the Office of Environmental Safety. William Faulkner drafted As I Lay Dying in this building in 1929.
W. Alton Bryant Hall
Renamed in 1984 in honor of Vice Chancellor Emeritus Bryant, the old library building, now Bryant Hall, was constructed in 1911. In 1952, it was occupied by the departments of Art and Theatre Arts. A complete renovation was finished in 2007. It now houses the departments of Classics and Philosophy and Religion.
Peabody Hall was built in 1913 and is of Early Renaissance style. It served as the School of Education and College of Liberal Arts until 1956, when it became the home of the Department of Psychology. The ROTC program was originally housed in the Peabody Building, where it remained until the program was interrupted by WWII. The Department of Mathematics held classes in the building until 1964, when it moved to the new biology building.
George Street House
Completed in 1914 to serve as a residence for Professor Thomas H. Somerville, the building was renovated in 1998 and currently houses administrative offices. George Martin Street served the university in several administrative posts, most notably as director of university relations, from 1946 to 1985.
Graduate School & Institutional Research
Built in 1919 as a faculty residence, the Colonial Style building was renovated as a demonstration home for the Department of Home Economics in 1944. The building has since housed University Public Relations before becoming the home of the Graduate School and Institutional Research.
The hall was built in 1920 in the Georgian style and rebuilt in 1949 as a men’s dormitory. J.P.Z. George, for whom the building was named, served as a U.S. senator from 1881-1897. George Hall was converted in 1973 to house the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders and the Speech and Hearing Center. The entire building underwent extensive renovation in 1991-92.
Built in 1920 as a men’s residence hall, the building, named for faculty member John Greer Dupree, now houses the Department of Political Science and the Public Policy Research Center. The most recent renovation occurred in 2004.
This building was constructed in 1920 as a dormitory for male students and was named for Col. Felix LaBauve, a state representative and senator who provided a substantial trust fund to the university. After a 2003-04 renovation, the building now houses the Trent Lott Leadership Institute.
Odom Hall has recently undergone a complete renovation. The building was constructed in 1920 as a residence hall for men and was named for John W. Odom, who provided a trust fund for the university.
Brevard Hall was built in 1923 in the Classic Revival style. It housed the School of Pharmacy and the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. This building was called the Old Chemistry Building until March 2011. It has been used by a number of academic, research, and administrative units, including the Graduate and Research Dean’s Offices, the Mississippi Mineral Resources Institute (MMRI), and the departments of Geology and Geological Engineering. Several major interior and exterior renovations have been completed on the building since 2002. The building now is home to the departments of Geology, Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering, and the MMRI and the National Center for Computational Hydroscience and Engineering (NCCHE).
Fulton Chapel was completed in 1927 in the Classic Revival style. The building was named in honor of Chancellor Robert Burwell Fulton who served as chancellor from 1892 to 1906. The primary function was to serve as an assembly and production facility for the performing arts. The ROTC rifle range was originally housed in the basement of Fulton Chapel until 1960, when it was moved. The stage-rigging system was completely renovated in 2012.
Named in honor of the first dean of the Graduate School, Professor Alexander L. Bondurant, the building was completely renovated in 1999-2000 and now houses the departments of English and Modern Languages.
Built in 1929 to house the School of Law and enlarged in 1959, Farley Hall was renovated for use by the University Archives blues collection, Music Library, Ole Miss yearbook staff, The Daily Mississippian, and the Department of Journalism. The building is named in honor of three generations of a family associated with the university since its founding: Robert Joseph Farley, a member of the university’s first law class; his son, Leonard J. Farley, dean of the School of Law 1913-1921; and his grandson, School of Law Dean Robert Joseph Farley. Recently, it has been fully renovated and houses the Department of Journalism only. An addition to the east accommodates the Overby Center for Southern Journalism and Politics.
Built as a residence hall in 1929, Barr Hall, which was named for Hugh A. Barr, an Oxford attorney, was renovated in 1976 to an academic facility providing housing for the Department of Music and the African American Studies Program. The building now houses the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs.
The building was used by the Department of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation until 1983 and was originally the University Gymnasium. Representatives of the English, history, theatre and library departments have also called this building home. In 1997, it was renamed Martindale Hall and now serves as the Student Services Center.
Isom Hall was built in 1929 and served as a dormitory until conversion to offices in 1997. It now houses the Department of Theatre Arts.
Paul B. Johnson Commons
This building has two wings, East and West. The West wing contains the university’s dining complex, which includes the original cafeteria, built in 1929 and renovated in 1965 for a banquet hall and private dining rooms, and a modern cafeteria built in 1963. Although some cafeteria facilities were moved to the Ole Miss Union in 1986, the Johnson Commons Cafeteria was renovated in 1995, and served as the main dining center and food services offices for the university. The East wing contains administrative offices on the first floor and a ballroom and meeting spaces on the second floor. The building was named for Paul B. Johnson Sr., former Mississippi governor. A complete renovation is under way, and the updated facility is scheduled to reopen in 2014.
Vaught-Hemingway Stadium, Hollingsworth Field
The first stadium was built in 1915, when students at the university helped with the construction of the first wooden football grandstand at the site of the present field. The first concrete structure was built in 1937 with a capacity of 24,000 and subsequently enlarged. The stadium now has a capacity of 60,580, making it the largest athletic facility in the state. Renovations in 1988 included a new press box and skybox suites, restrooms, and concession facilities. Lighting was added in 1990. Various renovations from 1997-2000 included seating and services for the Guy C. Billups Rebel Club and west side restrooms. A Sony Jumbotron scoreboard/message center was added for the 1997 season. In 2003, the south endzone was enclosed.
Fedex Athletics Academic Support Center
Part of the building was built in 1929 in the Georgian style. It was designed to serve the university athletics program, with dressing rooms, lockers, showers, and special equipment for the use of the varsity and visiting teams. A renovation project and addition were completed in May 2007 with an approximate cost of $5 million. The 22,500-square-foot building now houses the Office of Student-Athlete Academic Support, including offices, conference rooms, 20 large and small group tutoring rooms, a large study area, a multimedia classroom, computer lab, and 150-seat high-tech auditorium.
Michael S. Starnes Athletic Training Center and Wesley Knight Fieldhouse
Completed in December 1995, the Michael S. Starnes Athletic Training Center is the result of a $2.5 million project, which combined a renovation of the former Doc Knight Field House and the new construction of the additional elements to create a modern facility. The first floor houses an expanded, state-of-the-art training room, locker room, coaches dressing room, equipment room, laundry area, and seven meeting rooms. The top floor contains another meeting room and a large theater-style team meeting room. The training area is two-and-a-half times larger than before. It has four offices for the athletics training staff, room for at least 13 treatment tables, six taping stations, and rehabilitation equipment. It also contains a wet room with a whirlpool. This translates to improved care and injury prevention for Rebel student-athletes.
Named in honor of James K. Vardaman, Mississippi governor and U.S. senator, this building was constructed in 1929 to serve as a men’s dormitory. Renovated in 1988, it is now used for administrative purposes.
Built in 1929 with funds from a legislative appropriation, Howry Hall originally served as a men’s dormitory. It was named in honor of Judge Charles B. Howry of Oxford, state senator, assistant attorney general under President Grover Cleveland, and judge on the U.S. Court of Claims. In 2012, Howry was renovated to convert the former residence hall into swing space for use by academic and administrative departments during other projects.
Built in 1929 with funds from a legislative appropriation, Falkner Hall originally served as a men’s dormitory. It was named in honor of J.W.T. Falkner Sr., state senator and a member of the Board of Trustees from 1902 to 1908. Falkner was renovated in 1962 to accommodate 54 residents. In 2012, Falkner was once again renovated. This time, the goal was to convert the former residence hall into swing space for use by academic and administrative departments during other projects.
Built in 1934 with an annex added in 2010, the Classic Revival style building originally was the University Hospital and housed the School of Medicine. The building was named for Dr. B.S. Guyton, who served as dean of the School of Medicine from 1936 to 1943. It has housed the Student Health Service, Air Science Tactics, and the Departments of Aerospace Studies and Military Science. Since a full renovation in 2003, it has been home to the School of Education.
Completed in 1938 as a men’s residence hall and named in memory of faculty member Richard Marion Leavell, the building now houses the Department of Sociology and Anthropology.
Barnard Hall was built in 1938 and served as a dormitory until conversion to offices in 1997. After renovations, Barnard houses Army, Navy, and Air Force ROTC.
Somerville Hall was built in 1939 and served as a dormitory until conversion to offices in 1997.
The University Museum and Historic Houses
The University Museum and Historic Houses consist of the Mary Buie Museum, completed in 1939; the adjoining Kate Skipwith Teaching Museum, which was built in 1977 and enlarged in 2001; and Nobel Prize-winning author William Faulkner’s home Rowan Oak. Collections represent the fields of archaeology, art, anthropology, decorative arts, history, science, and technology.
Arthur B. Lewis Hall and Kennon Observatory
Both buildings were constructed in 1939 for the Department of Physics and Astronomy. The observatory was named in memory of Professor William Lee Kennon. In 1984, Lewis Hall was named in honor of Arthur B. Lewis, dean emeritus of liberal arts. An addition to Lewis Hall was completed in 1994. The mechanical systems were renovated in both Kennon Observatory and (old) Lewis Hall in 2013.
Weir Hall-Galtney Center
Built in 1939, of Greek Revival style, was named the Weir Memorial Building. The building was built with a large bequest from Rush C. Weir. In 1954, a new wing was added, and in 1965, the Grill was constructed. The building housed the Student Union and university post office until the 2002 renovation. It now houses the Department of Computer and Information Science and student computer labs.
The hall was built in 1938 as a men’s dormitory. It was named in honor of Landon Cabell Garland, who served as a member of the university faculty from 1867 to 1875. A complete renovation is currently under way and will be completed in 2015.
The hall was built in 1938 as a men’s dormitory. It was named in honor of Winn David Hedleston, professor of ethics and philosophy from 1910 to 1930. Hedleston was renovated in 1948 to accommodate 66 residents. A complete renovation is currently under way and will be completed in 2015.
Mayes Hall was built in 1938 as a men’s dormitory. It was named in honor of Edward L. Mayes, chairman of the faculty from 1886 to 1889 and chancellor from 1889 to 1891. Mayes was the first Ole Miss alumnus to serve as chancellor. A complete renovation is currently under way and will be completed in 2015.
The building, constructed in 1948 as a university laundry, was converted in 1974 to house the Receiving Department and Printing Services. The building was redesigned and renovated in 1987-89 to house the Data Center.
Completed as a men’s dormitory in 1948, the building was named in memory of Hermann Myrtle Baxter, former student body president who was killed during World War II. The building was renovated in 1990 to serve as a telecommunications center. Telephone services for students , faculty, and staff are managed in this building.
Constructed in 1948, half of this building was named in memory of Auguste (Gus) Gerard, a former student body president who was killed during World War II. The other half of the building was named in memory of William Charles Sam, another former president of the student body who was also killed during World War II. The facility was renovated in 1989. Sam-Gerard Hall currently housing University Communications, which comprises Public Relations, Printing and Creative Services, and University Photography.
Old Band Building [Counseling Center]
Originally designed to meet the special needs of the Ole Miss Marching Band, the building was completed in 1950. After serving as the home of intercollegiate athletics for a number of years, the building was renovated in 2007 for the University Counseling Center.
John Davis Williams Library
The main library building was completed in 1951, with the west wing added in 1970. The library was named in honor of Chancellor Emeritus J.D. Williams in 1979. A major renovation and expansion project was completed in 1996, increasing the total square footage of the library to almost 200,000 square feet of space.
Triplett Alumni Center
Built in 1951 with gifts from alumni, the building served as the university’s hotel and conference center, providing lodging for visitors to the campus. An addition completed in 1967 increased the lodging capacity to 100 rooms. Extensive renovations were also completed in 1997. When the new eight-story Inn at Ole Miss was added to this facility in 2009, the Office of Alumni Relations moved into Triplett.
E.F. Yerby Conference Center
Named in honor of E.F. Yerby, who was responsible for major development of university extension activities during the 1950s, this building was opened in 1954. It provides accommodations for conferences and institutes and houses the offices of the Division of Outreach and Continuing Education.
Gift of the late Mr. and Mrs. Robert M. Carrier, the building was completed in 1954 to house the School of Engineering.
Engineering Sciences Building
Originally built in 1938 to serve as the Engineering Machine Shop, the building was converted in 1954 for use as classrooms. It was completely renovated in 1996-97 with emphasis on converting laboratory space to classroom facilities.
The two-story back wing of this building was constructed in 1929 for use as University High School. A 1956 addition included a gymnasium, a front wing to be used as a library, administrative offices, and classrooms. When the University High School closed in 1963, the School of Education moved in and stayed until 2005. Following renovations in 2004-05, the building became the home of the Department of Music. The west wing will begin renovation in January 2014 and will reopen in fall 2015.
David H. Nutt Auditorium
The old Education Auditorium in the Music Hall was renovated in 2007 to serve as a performance venue and is now called the David H. Nutt Auditorium.
John W. White Physical Plant Building
Constructed in 2004, this service building, named in honor of longtime Physical Plant director John White, contains the offices of the Department of Facilities Planning and the Physical Plant Department.
Named for Chancellor John Neely Powers, this building was completed in 1959 as a residence hall. It was renovated in 1988 and now houses Information Technology.
Elma Meek Hall
Elma Meek was the student who submitted the name Ole Miss for the name of the annual yearbook; Ole Miss subsequently became synonymous with the University of Mississippi. Completed in January 1960 and partially renovated in 2003-04, offices, classrooms, and studios for the departments of Art and Music were added in Meek Hall. An elevator was added in 2006-07. The art department is housed in Meek and shares an auditorium with the theatre department.
Conner Hall, completed in 1961 and named in honor of Gov. Martin Sennett Conner, housed the School of Business Administration and the School of Accountancy until 1997. Completely renovated in 1998, Conner Hall provides administrative and faculty offices for the School of Accountancy, as well as multimedia classrooms and computer laboratories for both business and accountancy classes.
Intercollegiate Athletics Building
Since its completion in 1961, this building has housed offices of the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics: business personnel, administrative personnel, coaching staff, and publicity staff. The building was renovated for administrative use in 2009. The department of Intercollegiate Athletics is now located in the former Johw W. White Physical Plant Building, which was constructed in 1955, enlarged in 1957, 1960, and 1966, and renovated in 2008.
Originally designed to house a 3-MEV particle accelerator and completed in 1963, this underground structure has been renovated to serve as a research facility.
William M. Shoemaker Hall
The first phase of the Science Center, Shoemaker Hall was completed in 1963. The Department of Biology occupies this building. In 1984, the building was named in honor of William Shoemaker, a former member of the board of trustees, because of his untiring efforts on behalf of higher education in general and the field of science in particular.
C.M. (Tad) Smith Coliseum
This multipurpose building, designed to seat 8,000, was completed in 1966. In 1969, it was named in honor of Smith, a longtime football and baseball coach and director of intercollegiate athletics. New seating was installed in 2002.
Completed in 1968 as another unit of the Science Center, Hume Hall was named for Chancellor Alfred Hume. It houses the Department of Mathematics.
Built to house the School of Pharmacy, Faser Hall was completed in 1969 and renovated in 2007. It was named for former School of Pharmacy Dean Henry Minor Faser. The building also houses the Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
Named for Professor David H. Bishop upon its completion in 1969. Bishop Hall provides classrooms and offices for the Department of History and houses the Student Media Center. Extensive interior and exterior renovations were completed in 2005 and 2008.
Frank A. Anderson Hall
The chemical engineering building, completed in 1970, was named to honor the former associate dean of the School of Engineering.
Sally McDonnell Barksdale Honors House
This building was constructed in 1971 and was the home of Alpha Delta Pi social sorority. The university purchased the building in 1996 with funds donated by alumni James and Sally Barksdale. The building houses the Sally McDonnell Barksdale Honors College and is being enhanced with an addition and complete renovation of the existing structure. Work on the addition will begin in January 2014, and it will open in June 2015. Renovation of the existing structure will begin immediately after the addition opens and will be completed in January 2016.
Completed in 1976, the Union contains conference rooms, offices for student government and other groups, a food court, a ballroom, automatic bank tellers, game room, lounge areas, and a multipurpose room. The building also houses the University Post Office, the Ole Miss Bookstore, a satellite office of University Police, and the UM Box Office.
Completed in 1977 to house the School of Law and its research and service components, Lamar Hall was named in honor of L.Q.C. Lamar, professor at the university, Confederate ambassador to Russia, member of Congress, secretary of the interior, and associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. The building also housed the Eastland Law Library, named for the Hon. James Oliver Eastland, former U.S. senator for Mississippi and distinguished patron of the School of Law. Lamar Hall is undergoing a complete renovation, which will be finished in 2014. It will house the Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Center for Writing and Rhetoric, Writing Center, William Winter Institute for Racial Reconciliation, Center for Population Studies, Center for Archaeological Research, and McLean Institute for Public Service and Community Engagement.
Completed during the academic year 1977-78, Coulter Hall provides lecture and laboratory space for the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. It is named in memory of Victor Aldine Coulter, member of the Department of Chemistry, 1920-1960, and dean of the College of Liberal Arts, 1936-1957.
Thomas N. Turner Health, Physical Education, and Recreation Center
The Turner Center houses the Department of Health, Exercise Science, and Recreation Management and the Intramural and Campus Recreation programs and provides recreational facilities for faculty, staff, and students. It was completed in 1983 and renovated, adding modern equipment in 1999. The building is being considered for a significant renovation over the next two to three years.
Constructed in 1987, this building houses three steam boilers for heating university buildings and chillers that supply the Chilled Water Loop. This facility will be closed when the new Central Mechanical Plant opens in summer 2013.
Jamie L. Whitten National Center for Physical Acoustics
Established by an act of the 99th Congress in 1986, the center is a world-class acoustical research facility. Construction of the 74,000-square-foot building was completed in 1989. The building is named for U.S. Rep. Whitten, who, as representative for the district including the university, served longer than any other congressman.
Oxford-University Stadium and Swayze Field
Built in 1989, this construction was a cooperative venture between the city of Oxford and the university. Baseball games at the intercollegiate level, youth leagues, regional championships, and special events take place at this award-winning facility. The field is named in honor of longtime baseball coach Thomas Swayze.
John N. Palmer, Mitchell Salloum Tennis Center
Completed in 1990, the facility includes offices and dressing rooms for the Ole Miss intercollegiate tennis teams and accommodates 300 spectators for tournament matches. John N. Palmer of Jackson, Miss., and Mitchell Salloum of Gulfport, Miss., contributed funds toward construction of the stadium. Jack and Wylene Dunbar of Oxford, Miss., contributed a pavilion that bears their names.
Center For Water and Wetland Resources Building
This facility was completed in 2000. The building is the main administrative facility at the University Biological Field Station. Located 10 miles northeast of campus, the site consists of upland forests, fields, and spring- and stream-fed wetlands with more than 200 experimental ponds, known as mesocosms. The facility was acquired by the university in 1990.
V.B. Harrison Student Health Center
Completed in 1991, the center houses clinics, offices, and personnel for Student Health Services, Employee Health Services, and the student pharmacy. The center is named for Dr. Harrison, director and physician-in-charge of the Student Health Department from 1945 to 1971.
Thad Cochran National Center for Natural Products Research
The NCNPR building, completed in 1996, houses the center’s herbarium and central instrumentation facility, as well as its laboratories in many areas of chemistry and plant sciences. Renovations and phased expansion of the facility continue. A new auditorium to seat 245 was completed in 2000. The latest expansion is currently under way.
Holman Hall, completed in 1997, was constructed with substantial support by the members of the Holman family. The four-story, 55,000-square-foot building, provides administrative and faculty offices for the School of Business Administration. Holman Hall has large classrooms with retractable screens and multimedia computer projection systems, group study rooms, study alcoves, seminar rooms, conference rooms, and extensive connections to the campus network, providing a technologically advanced learning environment. “The North Hall” provides a structural connection between Conner Hall and Holman Hall, as well as administrative offices, faculty offices, and computer labs. North Hall also contains two state-of-the-art distance-learning classrooms, permitting interactive classes among the Oxford, Southaven, and Tupelo campuses.
R. Gerald Turner Hall
Completed in 2000, the building is home for the Institute of Child Nutrition, which sponsors national programs that promote continuous improvement of child nutrition programs.
Completed in 2001, the ecumenical chapel seats approximately 200 individuals and is embellished with an elaborate handmade pipe organ and carillon.
Johnny M. Williams Generation Plant
Completed in 2002, the plant houses 10 diesel-powered generators to facilitate the power needs of the university. The plant was named for the late Johnny M. Williams, former vice chancellor for administration and finance.
Gertrude C. Ford Center for the Performing Arts
The Ford Center opened in December 2002. The $26 million center contains a 1,200-seat main hall, a 400-seat rehearsal hall, and extensive back-of-stage support space.
The Oxford-University Depot reopened in October 2003, after an extensive restoration, and serves the university and Oxford communities as a center for small meetings and conferences hosted by the Division of Outreach and Continuing Education.
The Inn at Ole Miss
In 2009, a new eight-story building was built for the lodging of visitors. It also contains the University Conference Center.
Robert C. Khayat Law Center
The new School of Law building opened in time for the 2011 spring semester. The center was dedicated on April 15, 2011, in honor of Chancellor Emeritus Robert C. Khayat.
Haley Barbour Center for Manufacturing Excellence
The 47,000-square-foot, three-story building was opened in 2012. The first floor houses a 12,000-square-foot “factory floor,” along with three classrooms; the other two floors include office and meeting space for faculty and students. The factory floor has a central assembly area and a final finishing area in addition to three main manufacturing lines: wood, plastic, and metal.
Central Mechanical Plant
Construction of this facility was completed in 2013. The plant houses four boilers and three chillers, which provide heating and cooling water to campus buildings around the Grove and Circle, as well as the Gertrude Ford Center. As enrollment grows, the plant will easily accommodate more boilers and chillers because it has been designed to scale output for future growth.
The following buildings provide residences:
- Brown Hall, completed in 1961;
- Stewart Hall, 1963;
- Martin Hall, 1969;
- Crosby Hall, 1970;
- Hefley Hall, 1959;
- Guess Hall, 1960;
- Deaton Hall, 1951;
- Stockard Hall, 1969;
- Kincannon Hall, 1963;
- Northgate A, B, And C, 1947;
- Northgate D And E, 1961;
- Residential College South, 2009;
- Luckyday Residential College, 2010;
- The Ridges (South & North) & Minor Hall, 2012.
Ten sorority and 15 fraternity houses provide residential accommodations. The CARRIER HOME was given to the university by the late Mr. and Mrs. Robert M. Carrier with the request that it be used as the official residence of the chancellor. It has been occupied by the chancellor since 1971.
The Oxford-University Airport is located at Clegg Field, north of the campus off College Hill Road. During 1999-2000, the university completed construction of a half-mile of parallel taxiway, hangar and parking apron areas, and an above-ground aircraft fuel farm. Charter flights, rental cars, and flight instruction are available. The terminal building was completed in 2005.