About the University of Mississippi
Mission and Institutional Philosophy
As Mississippi’s first comprehensive, public university and academic medical center, the University of Mississippi transforms lives, communities, and the world by providing opportunities for the people of Mississippi and beyond through excellence in learning, discovery, healthcare, and engagement.
Oxford & Regional Campus Mission
The mission of the University of Mississippi is to create, evaluate, share, and apply knowledge in a free, open, and inclusive environment of intellectual inquiry. Building upon a distinguished foundation in the liberal arts, the state’s first comprehensive university serves the people of Mississippi and the world through a breadth of academic, research, professional, and service programs. The University of Mississippi provides an academic experience that emphasizes critical thinking; promotes research and creative achievement to advance society; uses its expertise to engage and transform communities; challenges and inspires a diverse community of undergraduate, graduate, and professional students; offers enriching opportunities outside the classroom; supports lifelong learning; and develops a sense of global responsibility.
Statement of Institutional Philosophy
In pursuing its mission, the University of Mississippi community
- Reaffirms its identity and purpose as fundamentally academic,
- Nurtures excellence in teaching, learning, creativity, and research,
- Provides the best, accessible undergraduate education in the state of Mississippi,
- Offers high quality undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs, and
- Devotes its knowledge and abilities to serve the state and the world.