Emphasis - Gender Studies
Ph.D. in Higher Education
The Ph.D. degree in higher education is intended for individuals seeking to gain methodological, theoretical, and contextual knowledge related to issues involving postsecondary education and the skills necessary to conduct original, empirical research.
Minimum Total Credit Hours: 72
Course requirements for the Ph.D. in higher education include:
- Edhe 700-Models of Inquiry and Literature Review
- Edrs 701-Educational Statistics II
- Edrs 704-Foundations of Qualitative Research Methods
- Edrs 705-Advanced Quantitative Research Methods
Students must complete 12 hours from the following higher education core courses. The Doctoral Studies Proseminar course (Edhe 701) is required, and the remaining 9 hours are selected in consultation with the student's adviser:
- Edhe 701-Doctoral Studies Proseminar
- Edhe 759-Finance of Higher Education
- Edhe 760-History of Higher Education
- Edhe 762-College Teaching
- Edhe 764-Law and Higher Education
- Edhe 721-Recent Developments in Educational Practice
- Edhe 730-Multidisciplinary Perspectives on Leadership
- Edhe 772-Advanced Educational Policy Analysis
Other requirements are 9 hours of additional research courses selected in consultation with adviser, 21 hours of courses in an area of specialization, with courses selected in consultation with adviser, and 18 hours dissertation.
Other Academic Requirements
Students must pass a written comprehensive examination, prepare a dissertation prospectus, and then successfully write and defend their dissertation.