B.U.S. in University Studies
The Bachelor of University Studies (B.U.S. degree) is designed for students who have earned at least 90 degree-applicable credit hours and stopped out of college without completing a bachelor's degree. For students who meet the eligibility requirements, the B.U.S. degree maximizes use of a student's previous coursework into a flexible general bachelor's degree composed of a three-part structure:
- General education core curriculum
- Completion of one, two, or three of seven possible emphasis areas
- General elective credits selected from a wide variety of courses across the university
Minimum Total Credit Hours: 120
General Education Requirements
See the ‘General Education/Core Curriculum’ for the Department of General Studies
The total number of credits required to complete the Bachelor of University Studies degree is 120 semester credit hours composed of the following:
- General Education Core Curriculum - 30 credit hours
- General elective courses - 60 credit hours
- One to three emphasis areas (see options below) - 30 credit hours
Option 1. Complete minimum of 30 hours in one emphasis area with a minimum of 18 of those hours being taken at the 300 level or higher — emphasis will be listed on transcript.
Option 2. Complete minimum of 15 credit hours in two emphasis areas with a minimum of 9 of those hours in each emphasis being taken at the 300 level or higher — two areas of emphasis will be listed on transcript.
Option 3. Complete minimum of 10 credit hours in three of the emphasis areas with a minimum of 6 of those hours in each emphasis being taken at the 300 level or higher — no emphasis is listed on the transcript.
General elective credits may be taken from courses offered across the university.
Other Academic Requirements
Courses used to satisfy the general education core curriculum requirements may not also be counted under the emphasis areas.
A minimum of 30 credit hours of the 120 required for the degree must be taken at the 300, 400, or 500 level.
- Emphasis - Business
- Emphasis - Business (10 hours)
- Emphasis - Business (15 hours)
- Emphasis - Creative Arts
- Emphasis - Creative Arts (10 hours)
- Emphasis - Creative Arts (15 hours)
- Emphasis - Education
- Emphasis - Education (10 hours)
- Emphasis - Education (15 hours)
- Emphasis - Health & Human Services
- Emphasis - Health & Human Srv (10 hours)
- Emphasis - Health & Human Srv (15 hours)
- Emphasis - Humanities
- Emphasis - Humanities (10 hours)
- Emphasis - Humanities (15 hours)
- Emphasis - STEM
- Emphasis - STEM (10 hours)
- Emphasis - STEM (15 hours)
- Emphasis - Social Sciences
- Emphasis - Social Sciences (10 hours)
- Emphasis - Social Sciences (15 hours)